BAS Steel Erectors are employed over the Austral summer months (6 months) to raise, maintain and adapt steel structures founded on ice. The role is based at Halley VI research station.
About the role
The steel erector works as part of a small team with the Facilities Engineer to complete the programme of works for the station during the austral summer. The work consists of raising, maintaining and adapting steel structures founded on ice. Ancillary duties to support the station will also be required.
The role is responsible for erecting any new structures which have been identified for the station, as well as surveying and ensuring the main structures are level and safe, making adjustments to suit when required. You need to be able to work both individually and within a team, and be able to plan and manage your own time and workload.
- Maintenance and repair of all existing Station steel structures.
- Erecting any new structures which have been identified for the Station.
- Raising ancillary caboose buildings as required.
- Maintenance of all tools and equipment required to complete the works.
- Maintenance and revision of materials and tools stock lists to ensure sufficient spares, equipment and materials are available to carry out the planned works for the following year.
- Reporting, recording and documenting all works carried out throughout the season.
- Liaison with the Facilities Manager and Base Management to co-ordinate the work program to meet overall season objectives.
- Duties will include surveying and ensuring the main structures are level and safe, making adjustments to suit.
- Raising and adapting towers supporting scientific equipment or services distribution networks.
- The reporting of major problems or work requests to the Facilities Engineer who is the Line Manager for this post.
- It will also be necessary to complete non-routine repair and maintenance to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the base.
- To organize and carry out work in a safe, orderly and tradesman like way including compliance with all appropriate risk assessments and method statements.
- Working and assisting other building and engineering trades to ensure the planned projects are complete.
- Work with other staff to ensure the operational and safety standards of the station are maintained.
- Undertake general base duties in assisting the general running of the station including, water production, playing an active role in the relief of the base, domestic support general duties and the like as required by the Facilities Engineer and Station Leader.
- To undertake other duties as required by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
This role requires someone with recognised experience within a steel erecting environment to UK standards and to have served full apprenticeship /training program, BTEC, relevant City & Guilds or NVQ.
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here: Steel Erector – Job Description.
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.