Our cultural values
Our staff are are key to our success. The people who work for BAS create who we are, and what we want to become. Our vision is to be a world-leading centre for polar science and operations. The science we do addresses some of the world’s most pressing environmental concerns. Making our vision a reality depends on the excellence and diversity of our staff.
At BAS, we are committed to creating a workplace that is fair and inclusive, and which welcomes diversity. We value all our staff, and recognise the contribution and potential of every individual at BAS.
Our cultural values are built on mutual respect, inclusion, commitment and excellence. We call them our PRICE values. They embody who we are and what we believe:
- POSITIVE – A positive attitude, energy and true passion for the work we do;
- RESPONSIBLE – A safety conscious, environmentally friendly, open and fair attitude;
- INNOVATIVE – A creative, flexible and outward looking approach to problem solving;
- COOPERATIVE – Openness, inclusivity, care and loyalty to one another – working in the best interests of BAS and science;
- EXCELLENCE – Professionalism, efficiency and effectiveness, success and recognition.
If you share these values, and want a career in Polar science, we want to hear from you.
Our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
Equality, diversity and inclusion is vital for our society, our communities and our workplaces. All of us should have the opportunity to develop our skills and reach our full potential whatever our identity or background. All of us should have the opportunity to work in a safe, supportive and inclusive environment recognised and valued.
Science thrives on diversity. Equality, diversity and inclusion are essential for the creative, collaborative and dynamic research that we need to understand our world and tackle the challenges we face.
Everyone at BAS – from support and technical staff to scientists and research vessel crews – has a key part to play in the science we do and in creating an inclusive workplace which welcomes diversity.
Listening to our staff
BAS believes that equality, diversity and inclusion must be ‘for everyone, by everyone’. Our ambition is to be a world-leading centre for polar science and operations. Making this vision a reality depends on everyone in BAS working to make us more diverse and inclusive. So that we can share ideas and learn from each other, there are many places at BAS where our community can gather.
- Staff Forum is a BAS-wide space for staff to come together to develop, promote and improve BAS science, strategies and staff.
- [email protected] is a staff-led group that supports, promotes and celebrates women at BAS, and our work on equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Network plays a crucial role in building a more inclusive workplace where diversity can thrive.
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Champions are working to enhance and embed equality, diversity and inclusion across BAS.
- Diversity in Polar Science Initiative is a UK-wide group working to boost diversity by promoting careers in Polar science to under-represented groups.
Innovation through inclusion
BAS is part of a community of international polar organisations, national science bodies and leading employer organisations working together to make Polar science more diverse and inclusive. We believe that all of us should have the opportunity to develop our skills and reach our full potential whatever our identity or background.
BAS has been a member of the Athena Swan Charter since 2014. Athena Swan is used across the globe to support and transform gender equality within higher education and research, and BAS is proud to hold an Athena Swan Bronze Award.
BAS aims to be an attractive employer for jobs which do not require a specialist background in environmental science, such as administrative roles. We compare workforce data with our local community to ensure that we are attracting diverse employees. We are supporting change through positive action.
We are a member of Disability Confident, a UK Government scheme, which means BAS is among 18,000 UK employers committed to challenging attitudes towards disability. BAS has a positive approach to employing people with a disability or health condition, and we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the requirements for any job vacancy.
And we are part of enei, the Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion, the UK’s leading employer network covering all aspects of equality and inclusion issues in the workplace.
We welcome feedback on what we are doing, what we can do better, and how we can work together to achieve our vision for outstanding UK polar science, where everyone has the opportunity to contribute and to benefit. You can reach us at [email protected].