The Wintering IT Engineer is normally employed for up to 18 months at Rothera and Halley research stations.
About the role
The role will be based in Antarctica at either our Rothera or Halley station. The key responsibilities for this position include operation, maintenance and delivery of Antarctic base IT, upkeep of email communication and supporting science initiatives.
To provide operational and technical support for the IT systems in the Antarctic, ensuring communications are maintained between the Antarctic bases, ships, field parties, aircraft and BAS Cambridge.
- Operation, maintenance and delivery of Antarctic base IT services such as hardware, software and computer networks. This includes VSAT and Iridium satellite equipment, LANs, WANs, servers, desktops, laptops and the VoIP telephone system.
- IT Installation/deployments as required.
- Support of science initiatives. Liaise with peers in BAS or external organisations.
- Monitor systems, analyse results and take part in weekly update of information with line management.
- Upkeep of the communication messaging system (email).
- Ensure the implementation of existing policies and continued documentation of process and procedures for guaranteeing availability and security of BAS IT systems.
- To undertake other duties as requested by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
BTEC L3 (tech discipline), A-level (with technical bias) or equivalent.
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here: Wintering IT Engineer – Antarctica
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.