The role of the Electronics Engineer is to maintain, operate and make minor developments to hardware and software for scientific experiments. The role is required at both our Halley VI and Rothera Research Stations.
About the role
This is electronics with a difference. As part of a small, highly motivated team, you will be spending a whole year in the Antarctic and life here is like nowhere else, so you must be ready to take on all the challenges it offers. With the unparalleled beauty of the Antarctic, you will find this a profitable experience in more ways than one.
The primary role of the successful candidate will be to maintain and operate a suite of scientific instruments studying the atmosphere and geospace.The role involves working in a small team that maintain, operate and make minor developments to hardware and software for scientific experiments. You will have proven ability in electronics and computing hardware coupled with self reliance and strong motivation. You must be adaptable and willing to take on various tasks as they arise including a considerable amount of outdoor maintenance and general base work as well as your share in routine duties such as meteorological observations.
- To routinely check, operate and maintain a suite of scientific experiments in the Antarctic.
- To organise and carry out the work in a safe and professional manner.
- To keep line management aware of progress and report any major problems as and when they arise.
- To compile monthly and annual reports of the work undertaken. To request replacement stores to meet the yearly shipping deadlines.
- To keep the facilities in a professional and orderly condition.
- To work with other staff to ensure that the operational and safety standards of the station are maintained.
- To assist other members of the science team in their duties, this will include taking part in a rota to undertake meteorological and other observations outside of normal working hours.
- To assist with field work programmes.
- To undertake general duties as required by the station leader.
- To assist in other duties as required by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
The post holder for this role requires a minimum of HNC in electronics and ideally several years experience.
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here:
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.