About this Role
Working as a part of a small team, you will be responsible for maintaining and repairing the structure, fabric, fixtures and fitting of the stations.
Using your own initiative, you will be required to be self-motivated and work both individually and as part of a team. You will have served a full relevant apprenticeship or relevant City & Guilds, together with on-site practical carpentry experience and general builder skills.
You will work as part of a small team with the Facilities Engineer to complete the programme of works for the station during the austral summer. The work will consist of small projects, maintenance, repair, upkeep and support of Antarctic station buildings and infrastructure.
- Maintaining and repairing the structure, fabric, fixtures and fittings of the stations, which includes general building works.
- Carrying out minor works projects under the guidance of the Facilities Engineer or Senior Engineer.
- The reporting of major problems or work requests to the Facilities Engineer who is the Line Manager for this post.
- Maintenance of all tools and equipment required to complete the works.
- Maintenance and revision of materials and tools stock lists to ensure sufficient spares, equipment and materials are available to carry out the planned works for the following year.
- Liaison with the Facilities Manager and Station Management to co-ordinate the work program to meet overall season objectives in a safe manner.
- Record works undertaken and advise items to be added to the maintenance programme.
- To organize and carry out work in a safe, orderly and tradesman like way including compliance with all appropriate risk assessments and method statements.
- Working with and assisting other building and engineering trades to ensure the planned projects are completed.
- Work with other staff to ensure the operational and safety standards of the station are maintained.
- Undertake general base duties in assisting the general running of the station playing an active role in the relief of the base, domestic support, general duties and the like as required by the Facilities Engineer and Station Leader.
- To undertake other duties as required by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
Applicants need to have served a full relevant apprenticeship, relevant City & Guilds.
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here: Carpenter/Builder – Job Description
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.