BAS Mobile Plant Operators are employed from 6 – 18 months and are based at both Rothera and Halley VI research stations. The plant operators’ role is to operate and maintain, if necessary, machines as requested by station line management under direction of mobile plant mechanic.
About the role
The objective of this role is to provide BAS with World Class professional service. The post holder will operate and maintain, if necessary, machines as requested by station line management under direction of mobile plant mechanic. You will service and maintain machines in good working order under mobile plant mechanic’s supervision. You will need to promote and present a professional image and offer machine capability solutions to other departments and frequently liaise with Vehicles Management team.
This role requires someone with a wide range of relevant experience in operating construction plant, farm machinery, bulldozers, lorry loader cranes, excavators etc.
- Build strong and positive relationships with the all departments.
- Feedback any important information to Vehicles management.
- To promote BAS in a professional manner.
- To react to any BAS needs quickly, effectively and efficiently.
- Continually look to develop yourself through Courses and other Medias when available.
- Work with, and follow the lead of the mobile plant mechanic.
- Operation of mobile plant including articulated loading shovels, fork lift trucks, tele-handlers, bulldozers, excavators and agricultural type vehicles to load/unload materials, stockpile materials and any other tasks required.
- Operate mobile plant for snow clearance and general station snow management.
- Maintain and improve vehicles section profile.
- Present a professional image at all times.
- Carry out all work practices in line with company health and safety policy.
- Keep garage and workshops in a safe and tidy condition.
- Help maintain detailed spare parts inventory.
- Contribute to overall success of operations through teamwork and good communication within BAS.
- Any other duties as deemed necessary to fulfil the role.
- Assist with other station duties as directed by line management.
- Essential duties
- To communicate efficiently and express your ideas clearly and confidently at all levels verbally, in print and via the telephone.
- Teamwork, ability to work confidently within a group and on own initiative.
- Time Management, ability to manage time effectively, prioritising tasks and working to deadlines.
- Drive and determination to get things done, make things happen and continually looking for better ways of doing things.
- Commercial Awareness, ability to understand the commercial realities affecting the organisation.
- Flexibility, ability to adapt successfully to changing situations and environments.
- Must have good health and safety and environmental awareness.
- Keep machines in a serviceable and safe condition.
- Initiative and Self-Motivation, ability to act on initiative, identify opportunities and be proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions.
- Personal Attributes:
- Capable of delivering results under pressure and to strict deadlines.
- Quality focused.
- Honest, reliable, trustworthy, good time keeper.
- Ability to be professional, cheerful, co-operative at all times.
- Ability to stay motivated.
- Clean driving licence and good driving record (if applicable).
- Driving, Telehandler, MEWP, Lorry Loader driving licence (training will be provided)
- To undertake other duties as requested by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
The role requires an individual with a wide range of relevant experience in operating construction plant / farm machinery / bulldozers, lorry loader cranes, excavators, etc.
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here: Mobile Plant Operator – Job Description
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.