Our Field Dive Officers are responsible for the supervision and organisation of all diving activities at and out of Rothera Research Station.
About the role
The Field Diving Officer is a wintering post at Rothera Research Station to undertake diving in support of science. The post holder responsible for the supervision and organisation of all diving activities at and out of Rothera Station. All requests for diving are made through the field dive officer and they must be present on site whenever a dive takes place.
This role is ideally suited to experienced research divers this is a fantastic opportunity to support ground-breaking science. You will also have the opportunity to dive under ice during the winter months!
- Ensure that diving activities are undertaken in a safe and efficient manner and that all diving operations follow the BAS relevant Standing Operating Procedures. The FDO reports to the Institute Diving Officer (IDO).
- Maintain all diving equipment and dive store fixed plant. Keep equipment and fixed plant maintenance records.
- Maintain accurate dive records including completion of the Dive Log database, signing of all diver logbooks and maintain the Dive Record form for each diver.
- Produce monthly and an annual report for the Institute Diving Officer/Line Manager.
- Be responsible for all on-site training and familiarisation related to diving activities.
- Be responsible for assessing the competency of divers and dive supervisors and has authority to withdraw permission to dive/supervise should the FDO judge a person not fit to dive.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders and produce timely dive schedules in line with the science diving requirements. (Scheduling dives includes coordinating with other support facilities resources such as boats or other transport, field or sea ice support staff and communications. The schedule is produced in good time and circulated to relevant parties on site).
- Be fully compliant with the BAS Health & Safety Policy and Report Accidents, Incidents and Near Misses.
- Assist the IDO/Station Leader, as required, in developing working practices and written procedures for the BAS diving operation.
- Undertake other duties as necessary to ensure that BAS meets its objectives.
- To undertake other duties as required by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
The post holder needs to hold HSE Scuba (or HSE approved equivalent).
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here:
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.