Our Data Managers maintain and operate the data systems for a suite of scientific instruments studying the atmosphere and geo-space. The role is based at our Halley VI research station.
About the role
This is data management with a difference. As part of a small, highly motivated team, you will be spending a whole year in the Antarctic; life here is like nowhere else, so you must be ready to take on all the challenges it offers. With the unparalleled beauty of the Antarctic, you will find this a profitable experience in more ways than one.
The primary role of the Data Manager is to maintain and operate the data systems for a suite of scientific instruments studying the atmosphere and geo-space. The post-holder works within a small team that manage, maintain, operate and develop science information services for scientific experiments based in Antarctica. It requires proven ability in scientific data management from within a principally Linux computing environment coupled with self-reliance and strong motivation. You must be adaptable and willing to take on various tasks as they arise including a considerable amount of outdoor maintenance and general base work as well as your share in routine duties such as out of hours meteorological observations. This will be a challenging and demanding opportunity in an extreme and isolated environment.
- To routinely check, maintain and backup scientific data in the Antarctic.
- To provide data services support and expertise to Station Scientists.
- To organise and carry out the work in a safe and professional manner.
- To keep line management aware of progress and report any problems as and when they arise.
- To compile monthly and annual work reports. To request replacement stores to meet yearly shipping deadlines.
- To keep the facilities in a professional and orderly condition.
- To work with other staff to ensure that operational and safety standards of the station are maintained.
- To assist other members of the Science team in their duties; this will include taking part in a rota to undertake meteorological observations outside of normal working hours.
- To assist with fieldwork programmes.
- To assist in other duties as required by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
The role requires someone with a relevant HNC or higher.
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here: Data Manager – Job Description
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.