The role of our Joiner/Builders is to maintain and repair the structure, fabric, fixtures and fittings of the stations, including general building works. This role is required over the austral summer period (around 6 months) at our research stations.
About the role
BAS Joiner/Builders work as part of a small team with the Facilities Engineer to complete the programme of works for the station. This work consists of small projects, maintenance, repair and upkeep and support of Antarctic station buildings and infrastructure.
- Maintaining and repairing the structure, fabric, fixtures and fittings of the stations, which includes general building works.
- Carrying out minor works projects under the guidance of the Facilities Engineer or Senior Engineer.
- The reporting of major problems or work requests to the Facilities Engineer who is the Line Manager for this post.
- Maintenance of all tools and equipment required to complete the works.
- Maintenance and revision of materials and tools stock lists to ensure sufficient spares, equipment and materials are available to carry out the planned works for the following year.
- Liaison with the Facilities Manager and Base Management to co-ordinate the work program to meet overall season objectives in a safe manner.
- Record works undertaken and advise items to be added to the maintenance programme.
- To organize and carry out work in a safe, orderly and tradesman like way including compliance with all appropriate risk assessments and method statements.
- Working with and assisting other building and engineering trades to ensure the planned projects are completed.
- Work with other staff to ensure the operational and safety standards of the station are maintained.
- Undertake general base duties in assisting the general running of the station playing an active role in the relief of the base, domestic support, general duties and the like as required by the Facilities Engineer and Station Leader.
- To undertake other duties as requested by the director of BAS.
Who can apply?
We require someone who has served full relevant apprenticeship or training to UK standards and relevant City & Guilds to fulfil this role.
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here: Joiner/Builder – Job Description.
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.