The Mobile Plant Mechanics are normally employed for up to 6 months (Antarctic Summer) or up to 18 months (Antarctic Winter) at Rothera and Halley VI research stations.
About the role
The Mobile Plant Mechanic is responsible for the provision of the stations Vehicles, and mobile plant equipment. The main duties of this role is to be able to carry out machine plant diagnostics, servicing and repairs to Agricultural, Industrial and Snowmobile Equipment to the highest standard.
This role requires someone with a wide range of relevant experience in the maintenance and overhaul of contractor’s plant, farm machinery or heavy vehicles and ideally a C&G / N.V.Q. / B. TECH or equivalent, in a mechanical discipline.
The main duties of this role is to be able to carry out Machine Plant Diagnostics, Servicing and Repairs to, Agricultural, Industrial, Snowmobile Equipment to the highest standard.
Responsible for the provision of the stations Vehicles, and mobile plant equipment.
You will need to promote and present a professional image and offer service solutions to other departments and frequently liaise with Vehicles Management team.
The objective of this role is to provide BAS with World Class professional service.
- Build strong and positive relationships with the all departments
- Feedback any important information to Vehicles management.
- To promote BAS in a professional manner.
- To react to any BAS needs quickly, effectively and efficiently
- To carry out repairs to the highest standard to provide a ” First Time Fix”
- Possess excellent laptop computer technical diagnostics skills
- Continually look to develop yourself through Courses and other Medias when available
- Service and maintain Equipment to the Manufactures specifications
- Operate mobile plant when required for snow clearance and general station maintenance.
- Maintain and improve vehicles section profile
- Present a professional image at all times
- Carry out all work practices in line with company health and safety policy
- Keep garage and workshops in a safe and tidy condition
- Maintain detailed spare parts inventory
- Contribute to overall success of operations through teamwork and good communication within BAS
- Any other duties as deemed necessary to fulfil the role
- Assist with other station duties as directed by line management
- To communicate efficiently and express your ideas clearly and confidently at all levels verbally, in print and via the telephone
- Teamwork, ability to work confidently within a group and on own initiative
- Time Management, ability to manage time effectively, prioritising tasks and working to deadlines
- Drive and determination to get things done, make things happen and continually looking for better ways of doing things
- Analysing and Investigating, ability to gather information systematically to establish facts and principles for problem solving
- Commercial Awareness, ability to understand the commercial realities affecting the organisation
- Flexibility, ability to adapt successfully to changing situations and environments
- Initiative and Self-Motivation, ability to act on initiative, identify opportunities and be proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions
- Personal Attributes:
- Capable of delivering results under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Quality focused
- Honest, reliable, trustworthy, good time keeper
- Ability to be professional, cheerful, co-operative at all times
- Ability to stay motivated
- Clean driving licence and good driving record (if applicable)
- To undertake other duties as requested by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
C&G / N.V.Q. / B. TECH or equivalent, in a mechanical discipline.
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here: Mobile Plant Mechanic – Antarctica
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.