Funding and awards

How to obtain research funding

Antarctic science research funding and access to British Antarctic Survey infrastructure are available to both UK researchers and students. Investing in the next generation of Antarctic scientists is a vital part of achieving our science strategy and vision.

Funding for researchers

UK researchers within universities and research institutes can apply for funds to support Antarctic research and fieldwork using the NERC funding opportunities (Pushing the Frontiers, large grants, NERC Fellowships, highlight topics). Researchers must first submit a preliminary request for Antarctic logistic support in the form of a Pre-Award Operational Support Planning Questionnaire, no later than three months before the submission deadline of the respective funding call.

Where funding for salaries or direct science costs is not required, the Collaborative Antarctic Science Scheme (CASS) can be used to provide “no cost” access to UK Antarctic facilities and support, if the proposed research does not require logistics above and beyond those already provided as part of the British Antarctic Survey field programme. CASS proposals must also be complementary to the BAS science programme and have the support of the appropriate Science Leader at BAS.

Note: Scientists obtaining funding for Antarctic research via funding mechanisms other than NERC Discovery Science opportunities cannot be guaranteed access to UK Antarctic infrastructure and should negotiate separately with British Antarctic Survey.

Further details about funding and logistic support are available on the Opportunities for Polar Fieldwork pages of this site.

Funding for students

British Antarctic Survey collaborates with higher education institutes in the UK and abroad to support students undertaking postgraduate research in Antarctic science. BAS is not a degree awarding body.

British Antarctic Survey has 100+ PhD students of which 40+ are based primarily at BAS HQ, Cambridge. They are funded by a variety of mechanisms, including Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) studentships; other Research Council studentships; and NERC Responsive Mode opportunities.

Studentships are advertised on BAS vacancies page and University websites.

For information about PhD Research Studentship Opportunities see Doctoral Training Partnerships

For more information, contact the BAS Student Registrar email address.