About the role
BAS are looking to employ chefs to complete contracts of between 6 and 18 months. This is not your standard hotel or restaurant job. You will be a vital part of the station team. You will travel to Antarctica and as part of your day to day work ride skidoos, be part of the station emergency response teams, fly on small aircraft over the ice shelf’s or sail through the pack ice on one of our ice strengthened ships. If you can produce great food with a positive attitude whatever the Antarctic can throw at you this could be the job for you.
During the winter your customers will be the same ones for up to 295 days so you need to be able to produce a wide variety of dishes to suit your group and cater for any dietary or medical requirements. Life on a remote ice station is not all about the day job. You will be expected to take part in all aspects of station life including First Aid, field living and skills training, cargo handling and a myriad of other tasks.
The work will be hard but the memories will last for a lifetime.
- Catering: provide as required meals and snacks for station staff and visitors.
- Stock Control: responsible for food and equipment, stocks and stock rotation. Active involvement with Station managers in ordering replenishment stocks.
- Food safety: responsible for maintaining high standards of personal and kitchen hygiene, maintaining food safety records.
- Cleaning: responsible for maintaining cleanliness of kitchen and all food storage areas.
- Training: responsible for training station members in basic food safety and safe working practices.
- Domestic Stores: responsible for stock control and rotation of domestic cleaning stores.
- To assist in other duties as required by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
Applicants must hold NVQ 3 or 4 or equivalent experience and a nationally recognised qualification in Food Safety level 3.
You can find the full job description and skills specification for this role here: Chef – Job Description
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.