About the role
They are responsible for the boating operation in support of marine and terrestrial biology in the surrounding area.
You should have excellent sea-borne skills as a coxswain on RIBs, dive cox experience and the ability to provide training. Just as importantly the applicants should be experienced in basic first line maintenance and servicing on rigid inflatable boats and outboard engines up to 100hp.
At Rothera you will carry out a variety of boating support tasks including water sampling, dive support, transfers to and from local islands and search and rescue cover. You will also enable recreational boating opportunities for your colleagues.
Working in sometimes difficult conditions you will get to experience and work amongst the stunning coastal scenery of the Antarctic Peninsula and have the opportunities to observe penguins, seals and whales that inhabit this amazing environment.
If you are an experienced boat handler with a love of the sea and are after a different and truly unforgettable boating job, this could be the role for you.
• Day to day management of the boating fleet. The tasking will be related to weather conditions and various priorities in order to support the scientific and operational work at Rothera research station.
• Coxswain each of the 5 RIBs, ranging from 4.8m to 6.4m, all with outboard engines.
• Advise the Station Leader on safety issues associated with boating operations.
• Carry out regular planned maintenance on boats, trailers, outboard engines and checks on boat comms equipment.
• Fault find and carry out repair work on the boats as required. This may include repairs on the boat engines and systems, glass fibre hulls and sponson repairs.
• Instruct and train other station staff through a defined training syllabus. This will be through a series of theoretical and practical exercises including launch & recovery, boat handling skills, seamanship, search & rescue techniques and navigation using GPS etc.
• Ensure that boating spares stock take, inventory and orders take place through the AMOS database system.
• Record keeping of boating activity and running hours.
• Produce an annual Rothera station boating report.
• Assist with revising boating procedures and risk assessments as required by the Station Operations Manager.
• Assist in general station rotas including cooking/cleaning as required by the Station Leader.
• To undertake other duties as required by the Director of BAS.
Who can apply?
Qualified RYA Powerboat Instructor and/or RYA Advanced Powerboat certified..
Vacancies are advertised from January to March. Check out latest vacancies.
Register your interest with Human Resources.