The British Antarctic Survey welcomes students who wish to gain hands-on experience of working in a scientific research environment while studying.
We run a number of placements schemes for students at various stages of their education:
- Summer Placements
- Work Experience Placements
Please note, we are currently reviewing our Work Experience process for 2021 due to COVID-19. We are not currently accepting applications.
All Research Experience Placements will be advertised on the vacancies page.
Summer placements are available typically for students studying for their first degree who are seeking research/work experience, usually during the summer break. To be eligible for consideration you must:
- Be studying for an undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline outside of NERC’s scientific remit (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computing, engineering, physics).
- Be applying for a placement in a different department to your undergraduate degree.
- Be undertaking your first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters).
- Be expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree
- Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (i.e. UK, EU or right to remain in the UK).
REPs are usually advertised in the spring preceding the placement.
Contact the BAS Student Office for more information.
Please note, we only have the REPs and do not currently have an internship or other placement programme.
Work Experience Placements
Work experience is usually a short period of time during which student has an opportunity to gain an insight into the work of the Survey and to get an experience of a particular type of work. Work placements are often an integral part of a Year 10 study and last no more than 2 weeks.
Who can apply
Unpaid work experience opportunities are mainly only offered to students under the age of 16 studying at a local school in Cambridge and surrounding areas.
Work experience placements commencing 2021 are currently under review due to COVID-19. We are not currently accepting applications.