The British Antarctic Survey welcomes students who wish to gain hands-on experience of working in a scientific research environment while studying.
We run a number of placements schemes for students at various stages of their education:
- Summer Placements
- Work Experience Placements
Summer placements are available typically for students studying for their first degree who are seeking research/work experience, usually during the summer break. To be eligible for consideration you must:
- Be studying for an undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline outside of NERC’s scientific remit (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computing, engineering, physics).
- Be applying for a placement in a different department to your undergraduate degree.
- Be undertaking your first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters).
- Be expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree
- Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (i.e. UK, EU or right to remain in the UK).
Placements for Summer 2020 will advertised in the Spring.
Work Experience Placements
Work experience is usually a short period of time during which student has an opportunity to gain an insight into the work of the Survey and to get an experience of a particular type of work. Work placements are often an integral part of a Year 10 study and last no more than 2 weeks.
Who can apply
Unpaid work experience opportunities are mainly only offered to students under the age of 16 studying at a local school in Cambridge and surrounding areas.
Applications are accepted until 16th February 2020.
Please note that we are keen to ensure that your time here is both meaningful and appropriate, so we only offer placements relevant to the your specific interests.