The British Antarctic Survey welcomes students who wish to gain hands-on experience of working in a scientific research environment while studying.
We run a number of placements schemes for students at various stages of their education:
- Summer Placements (university undergraduates)
- Work Experience Placements (under 18s)
Please note, we are currently reviewing our Work Experience process for 2021 due to COVID-19. We are not currently accepting applications.
Summer placements are advertised below.
Summer placements are available typically for students studying for their first degree who are seeking research/work experience, usually during the summer break. Projects will be advertised below when they become available. The application process will be made clear within the advertisement, as this will differ depending on the NERC Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) administering the scheme.
We welcome applications from those from underrepresented demographic and diversity-related groups in environmental sciences.
To be eligible for consideration you must meet all of the criteria listed below:
- Be undertaking your first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters).
- Be applying for a placement in a different department to your undergraduate degree.
- Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding, i.e A UK citizen OR EU citizen with pre- or settled status under the EU settlement scheme, OR a non-EU citizen who has obtained the right to remain in the UK, OR an international/EU student already studying in the UK and currently under a Tier 4 or Student Route Visa with validity until at least October 2021.
Closing date for applications: Friday 28th May 2021.
Closing date for applications: Friday 4th June 2021.
Supervisor: Dr Amelie Kirchgaessner
Supervisor: Dr Peter Davis
Supervisor: Dr Xin Yang
To apply and for more information on the ARIES projects, please go to the ARIES website.
Other Summer Placement Opportunities
UK Space Agency Funded Summer Internship
Supervisor: Dr Johnathan Ross
To apply, please go to the Catapult website.
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Monday 14th June 2021
For general enquiries, please contact the BAS Student Office
Work Experience Placements
Work experience is usually a short period of time during which student has an opportunity to gain an insight into the work of the Survey and to get an experience of a particular type of work. Work placements are often an integral part of a Year 10 study and last no more than 2 weeks.
Who can apply
Unpaid work experience opportunities are mainly only offered to students under the age of 16 studying at a local school in Cambridge and surrounding areas.
Work experience placements commencing 2021 are currently under review due to COVID-19. We are not currently accepting applications.