Antarctic Permits

Please see guidance on this page.

All Projects in South Georgia

The Wildlife and Protected Areas (WPA) Ordinance was enacted in 2011 and provides a legal basis for the strict environmental policies of the Government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (GSGSSI). Under the Ordinance it is an offence to wilfully or carelessly introduce non-native species, to handle or harm any flora or fauna or conduct activities that are likely to result in damage to habitats.

Any organisation or individual wishing to conduct scientific or other projects in SGSSI requires a Regulated Activity Permit (RAP) from the GSGSSI.

All those visiting South Georgia must also familiarise themselves with the South Georgia Code of Conduct.

How to apply for a Regulated Activity Permit (RAP)

BAS staff or those supported by BAS logistics are required to follow this two-step process:

  1. Complete and submit a BAS PEA form electronically to the BAS Environment Office and by 31st May each year. The BAS PEA is an internal requirement to gain BAS environmental approval for your project and it ensures that any BAS environmental requirements are met and appropriate mitigation measures agreed. Once you have received your approved BAS PEA you need to follow step 2 below.
  2. Apply to GSGSSI for a Regulated Activity Permit (RAP) directly through the government website online application. The online RAP requires you to submit an approved copy of your BAS PEA (step 1). Please note, there are different categories of RAP that vary according to the type and complexity of the project. There is no fixed GSGSSI RAP deadline but submit at least 60-90 days before the start of your project. Refer to GSGSSI guidance for RAP applications.