The British Antarctic Survey is committed to excellence in science, operational professionalism and developing our staff to reach their full potential.
Our people are fundamental to achieving our ambitions for world class, innovative science and we recognise that diversity in all its forms is essential to achieving these. The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion network is a forum run by staff and for staff to promote best practice, raise awareness and represent all protected characteristics ensuring that they have a voice and forum for impact.
The network is a sub-group of the Staff Forum, which has responsibility for the promotion of the wider Equality, Diversity and Inclusion agenda at BAS.
The aims of the network are to:
- Identify opportunities to develop an increasingly supportive and inclusive environment for staff and visitors.
- Raise awareness of equality and diversity obligations, initiatives and progress.
- Act as a voice for minority communities at BAS.
- Ensure that equality policies and agendas are informed by the experiences of minority staff at BAS.
- Ensure that communication about equality and diversity is appropriate and inclusive.
- Organise events and campaigns that raise the profile of equality and diversity issues within BAS.
- To celebrate the diversity of staff within BAS and in particular the successes of staff from under-represented groups.
- Support and maintain network of equality pledge takers within BAS and close working organisations.
- To build relationships and contacts with external equality groups within NERC, UKRI, Universities and the wide polar community.