Winter Teams Training
If you have been asked to attend the Winter Teams Training, please download and fill in the Winter Teams Training Week Form and return as soon as possible to:
The course has several functions:
- Initial training and familiarisation in the key skills required for living and working off base in the Antarctic such as campcraft, navigation, search and rescue techniques, glacier travel techniques & response to emergency’s (where appropriate)
- Equipment familiarisation
- The chance to work closely with and get to know your fellow winterers and other staff
This is a foundation course only and you will receive further training when you are South.
In 2023, the course will take place at Thornbridge Outdoors Centre from 8th – 10th September. All participants must be on site by 12:00 on Day 1 and the course will finish at 17:00 on Day 3. Return transport to/from BAS Cambridge will be provided.
WTT will be delivered by BAS Field Operations Managers and Field Guides.
The course will include introductions to:
- Tents, emergency shelters and what to do if caught out in the open
- Ropework: harnesses, knots, tying in
- Stoves, lanterns and carbon monoxide dangers
- Field food and hygiene
- Searching techniques: Map and compass
- Field communications
- Jumaring, abseiling and high ropes
- Hauling systems
- Navigation exercises
- White out exercises
- Stretcher exercises
You will be accommodated for the duration of the course.
Boots and waterproofs
Waterproof clothing and robust outdoor footwear are recommended – along with spare dry warm clothing!
Meals will be prepared communally on site and food will be provided.
Information for Field Guides
Field Guides will have some time for familiarisation with the equipment before Field Course participants arrive. All Field Guides are expected to act as instructors on the course, but newly recruited Field Guides will be teamed with experienced ones when instructing.