I am a Data Scientist at the BAS Artificial Intelligence Lab (AI Lab), supervised by Dr Scott Hosking and funded by the Alan Turing Institute’s AI for Science programme. In general, I am interested in the use of advanced machine learning algorithms in climate science, enabling scientific discovery through the use of vast datasets from climate models, satellites and in-situ stations. My research at BAS currently focuses on understanding the drivers of Arctic sea ice loss, with a view to improving the prediction of future sea ice. To this end, I am applying explainable deep learning algorithms with 2D satellite and climate simulation data from the Arctic. More information is available on the project web page.
In 2019 I graduated with a double-first in Information & Computer Engineering from the University of Cambridge. Before graduating, my Master’s research at the Computational & Biological Learning Lab involved the development of a machine learning algorithm for automatically dating ice cores based on seasonally-dependent ice core chemicals. My thesis, ‘GPCore: A Gaussian Process Approach for Inferring Ice Core Chronologies’, was awarded a Distinction and is available on my GitHub.
- Explainable deep learning for climate prediction
- Gaussian process modelling for climate forecasting/paleoclimate
- Automatic dating of ice cores
- J. Turner, M. V. Guarino, J. Arnatt, B. Jena, G. J. Marshall, T. Phillips, C. C. Bajish, K. Clem, Z. Wang, T. Andersson, E. J. Murphy, R. Cavanagh (2020). Recent Decrease of Summer Sea Ice in the Weddell Sea, Antarctica, Geophysical Research Letters, doi:10.1029/2020GL087127
- T. Andersson, J. S. Hosking, M. Pérez-Ortiz, B. Paige, C. Russell, A. Elliott, S. Law, F. Agocs, J. Wilkinson, W. Tebbutt, E. Shuckburgh (2020). Deep learning for monthly Arctic sea ice concentration prediction presented at EGU General Assembly, 4-8 May 2020, doi:10.5194/egusphere-egu2020-15481
Publications from NERC Open Research Archive
Turner, John ORCID record for John Turner, Guarino, Maria Vittoria ORCID record for Maria Vittoria Guarino, Arnatt, Jack, Jena, Babula, Marshall, Gareth J. ORCID record for Gareth J. Marshall, Phillips, Tony ORCID record for Tony Phillips, Bajish, C.C., Clem, Kyle, Wang, Zhaomin, Andersson, Tom ORCID record for Tom Andersson, Murphy, Eugene J. ORCID record for Eugene J. Murphy, Cavanagh, Rachel ORCID record for Rachel Cavanagh. (2020) Recent decrease of summer sea ice in the Weddell Sea, Antarctica. Geophysical Research Letters, 47. 10.1029/2020GL087127