Maximilian Lowe is an early carer geophysicist working at British Antarctic Survey (BAS) since 2020. He joined BAS as part of the SENSE cdt (Centre for Satellite Data in Environmental Science – Centre for Doctoral Training) and is registered at the University of Edinburgh.
PhD project: Unveiling the 4D variability in the lithospheric cradle of the Antarctic ice sheet supervised by Fausto Ferraccioli. In this project we aim to understand the heterogeneity of the Geothermal Heat Flux (GHF) beneath the Antarctic Icesheet. We will develop new crustal and lithospheric models (2D & 3D) based on airborne and satellite datasets (magnetic and gravity) and estimate regional-scale Antarctic GHF heterogeneity using novel thermal modelling.
- 11/2019 – 09/2020: University of Kiel
- 2020 – present PhD student, British Antarctic Survey
- 2016 – 2019 Msc. Geophysics, University of Kiel
- 2013 – 2016 Bsc. Geosciences, University of Kiel
- Geothermal heat flux in Antarctica
- 3D Lithospheric modelling with satellite and airborne gravity & magnetic data
- Lithosphere-cryosphere interactions
- Probabilistic modelling and inversion
- Glacial isostatic adjustment
- Subglacial topography and geological boundary conditions for ice sheets
- Lowe, M., Ebbing, J., El-Sharkawy, A., & Meier, T. (2020). Gravity effect of Alpine slab segments based on geophysical and petrological modelling. Solid Earth Discussions, 1-30.
Talks (first author only)
- Lowe, M., Ebbing, J., El-Sharkawy, A., Meier, T, – From seismological imaging to geophysical and petrological modelling of the subducting lithosphere in the Alpine region, DGG General Assembly, Munich, Germany, 2020.
- Lowe, M., Sudhaus, H., Ebbing, J. – Searching regional slow ground motion using velocities of German SAPOS stations, Arbeitskreis Geodäsie/Geophysik, Zugspitze, Germany 2018
- Lowe, M., Sudhaus, H., Ebbing, J. – Searching regional slow ground motion using velocities of German SAPOS stations, Astronomical Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences (Prague), 2018
Posters (first author only)
- Lowe, M., Ebbing, J., El-Sharkawy, A., Meier, T. – Gravity effect of Alpine slab segments based on geophysical and petrological modelling, EGU General Assembly, Vienna, 2020.
- Lowe, M., Ebbing, J., Szwillus, W., Spooner, C., El-Sharkawy, A., Meier, T., – Testing the Alpine slab hypotheses with gravity, AlpArray & SPP 4DMB Scientific Meeting, Frankfurt (Main), Germany, 2019.
- Lowe, M., Ebbing, J., El-Sharkawy, A., Meier, T. – Sensitivity study on separation of crustal and mantle contribution to the Alpine gravity Field, DGG General Assembly, Braunschweig, Germany, 2019.