Position: Lat. 63° 24′ S, Long. 57° 00′ W
General location: Hope Bay, Trinity Peninsula
Survey, geology, geophysics, glaciology, meteorology, human and dog physiology.
- 13 Feb 1945 – 4 Feb 1949
- 4 Feb 1952 – 13 Feb 1964
An attempt was made to establish the station on 7 Feb 1944 as the main base for Operation Tabarin but sea ice conditions prevented unloading of stores. It was the main station during the expedition’s second year.
The original hut was known as Eagle House after the ship SS Eagle which transported the party to Hope Bay in 1945. It was destroyed by fire on 8 Nov 1948, with the loss of two lives. On 4 Feb 1952 a new hut was established in a new position, named Trinity House after Trinity Peninsula.
O Burd and M C Green, 8 Nov 1948: graves in the vicinity of the original hut.
Transferred to Uruguay on 8 Dec 1997 and renamed Teniente Ruperto Elichiribehety Uruguayan Antarctic Scientific Station. Inspected for BAS by a conservation architect in Jan 2007.
For full listing of all station histories, see History of British stations and refuges.
More on Operation Tabarin.