I am a geospatial developer focusing on web mapping/GIS applications, data integration, APIs, cloud infrastructure and user experience.
I am the technical lead for geospatial information services and infrastructure within BAS.
- Ensuring BAS can deliver its geospatial information through a suitable Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI)
- Providing APIs to integrate data from multiple sources through appropriate technologies and standards
- Providing web-based mapping, analysis and GIS tools for use by our operations staff, science staff and the general public
- Providing support and advice to others on how geospatial data can be delivered with online services
- Developing and implementing platforms our services run on, including automatic provisioning of cloud/on-premise infrastructure, continuous integration and other tools
- Working with other teams, such as data managers, system administrators and various providers and contractors to deliver complex projects
- Promoting user-need driven development and focusing on user experience to make tasks more intuitive, and information more accessible
- Engaging with the wider geospatial community, to improve our services and contribute back ideas as open source software
I joined BAS in 2013, and until 2019 worked as a software developer with the UK Polar Data Centre. I now work in the Mapping and Geospatial Information Centre (MAGIC).
I have a degree in Geography focusing on GIS, geographies of health and perception of crime. I also worked on a JISC funded research project, Bomb Sight.
Outside of technology, I am interested in hiking, diving, board games, traditional/digital cartography and doing cool things with lights.
Since 2020 I have been a software development volunteer with Map Action, a GIS and Information Management charity providing support to humanitarian agencies and partners. Previously I have helped organise, and participated in, local Missing Maps events.
Antarctic sea ice loss explained in new study
News 17 June, 2020
Updated Mapping Datasets for Antarctica
News 12 May, 2020
- Member (14,106), Cloud Appreciation Society