Acting Head Director of Operation
Oliver is the (Interim) Director of Operations and Engineering at the British Antarctic Survey (BAS). The Board Director responsible for
- The delivery of UKs Antarctic Infrastructure Modernisation Programme
- The safe operation and maintenance of the UKs flagship polar research vessel, the RRS Sir David Attenborough.
- A fleet of 5 ‘science ready’ aircraft, deployed to the most challenging environments the world has to offer.
- The British Antarctic Survey Estate. Including 6 polar research stations and the BAS HQ in Cambridge. An extensive, highly complex, Estate spread across both Polar Regions, the UK and the Falkland Islands.
- The safe annual deployment of up to 600 scientists and staff to the Polar Regions and beyond.
Since joining the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) in 2015, Oliver has delivered construction and engineering projects across both Polar Regions and all corners of BAS activity.
Beginning his BAS career with the complex Halley Relocation Project allowed Oliver to accumulate significant deployed experience in a leadership role. In 2019 he became the BAS Head of Estates, leading the Estates team through project delivery, procurement, recruitment and logistics. In 2020, Oliver joined the BAS Executive Team in support of the BAS response to Covid-19.
In May 2022, Oliver began his current role as (Interim) Director of Operations and Engineering.
Job opportunities in Antarctica
News 9 March, 2022