Ocean Climate Scientist
Prof Kate Hendry is a chemical oceanographer and marine biogeochemist in the Polar Oceans Team of the British Antarctic Survey, and an honorary professor at the University of Bristol. Her research interests surround the impact on marine nutrient cycling of climate change in the polar regions.
Kate has published over 50 papers in international journals, and has won almost £4M in grant funding as Principal Investigator, and collaborated on several other national and international projects. She led the European Research Council funded project, ICY-LAB, investigating nutrient cycling in glaciated margins off Southwest Greenland, and was a member of the Changing Arctic Ocean program, as part of the Changing Arctic Ocean Seafloor project (ChAOS). She won the EAG Houtermans medal in 2016 for contributions to geochemistry, and a Challenger Society fellowship in 2012.
Kate is Chair of Antarctic Science Ltd, which runs the journal Antarctic Science, and the Antarctic Science International Bursary Scheme. She is vice chair of the UK Arctic and Antarctic Partnership, and is the geosciences representative for the UK National Committee for Antarctic Research (UKNCAR). She is secretary of the Challenger Society for Marine Science and chair of the Challenger special interest group on Advances in Marine Biogeochemistry (AMBIO). Kate is a member of the NOC Association of Marine Science National Capability Beneficiaries science steering group, and sits on both the Marine Facilities Advisory Board (MFAB) and the NERC Cruise Program Review Board (CPRG). She has a keen interest in reducing the carbon footprint of oceanographic research, and was a work package lead for the Net Zero Oceanography Capability team.
She also established on the Challenger Society for Marine Science Equity, Diversity, Inclusivity and Accessibility working group, and is a member of the Diversity in UK Polar Science Initiative committee.
- Nutrient cycling in polar regions
- Biogeochemical-ocean-climate feedbacks
- Global biogeochemical cycling of silicon
- Use of non-traditional stable isotopes for environmental geosciences applications
- Biogeochemical sensors and autonomous platforms
Selected recent publications:
- Ng, H-C., Hawkings, J.R, Bertrand, S. …. Hendry, K.R. (2022) Benthic dissolved silicon and iron cycling at glaciated Patagonian fjord heads. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. https://doi.org/10.1029/2022GB007493.
- Sales de Freitas, F., Arndt, S., Hendry, K., Faust, J., Tessin, A., & März, C. (2022). Benthic Organic Matter Transformation Drives pH and Carbonate Chemistry in Arctic Marine Sediments. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. e2021GB007187.
- Ward, J.P.J., Hendry, K. R., Arndt, S., et al. (2022). Stable Silicon Isotopes Uncover a Mineralogical Control on the Benthic Silicon Cycle in the Arctic Barents Sea. Geochim. Cosmochim. Act., doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2022.05.005.
- Hendry, K. R., Briggs, N., Henson, S., et al. (2021). Tracing glacial meltwater from the Greenland Ice Sheet to the ocean using gliders. JGR Oceans, e2021JC017274.
- Faust, J. C., Tessin, A., Fisher, B. J., Zindorf, M., Papadaki, S., Hendry, K. R., … & März, C. (2021). Millennial scale persistence of organic carbon bound to iron in Arctic marine sediments. Nature communications. 12(1), 1-9
- Cassarino, L., Hendry, K. R., Henley, S. F., et al. (2020). Sedimentary nutrient supply in productive hotspots off the West Antarctic Peninsula revealed by silicon isotopes. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. e2019GB006486
- Pryer, H. V., Hawkings, J. R., Wadham, J. L., Robinson, L. F., Hendry, K. R., Hatton, J. E., et al. (2020). The Influence of Glacial Cover on Riverine Silicon and Iron Exports in Chilean Patagonia. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 34(12), e2020GB006611
- Pryer, H., Hatton, J. E., Wadham, J. L., Hawkings, J. R…. & Hendry, K. R. (2020). The Effects of Glacial Cover on Riverine Silicon Isotope Compositions in Chilean Patagonia. Frontiers in Earth Science. 8:368.
- Sales de Freitas, F., Hendry, K. R., Henley, S. F., Faust, J. C., Tessin, A. C., Stevenson, M. A., et al. (2020). Benthic-pelagic coupling in the Barents Sea: an integrated data-model framework. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A. 378(2181), 20190359
- Hatton, J., Hendry, K. R., Hirst, C., Opfergelt, S., Henkel, S., Welch, S., et al. (2020). Silicon isotopic composition of dry and wet-based glaciers in Antarctica. Frontiers in Earth Science. 8, 286.
- Pickering, R. A., Cassarino, L., Hendry, K. R., et al. (2020). Using Stable Isotopes to Disentangle Marine Sedimentary Signals in Reactive Silicon Pools. Geophysical Research Letters. 47(15), e2020GL087877
- Ng, H-C., Cassarino, L.C., Pickering, R.A., Woodward, E.M.S., Hendry, K.R. (2020) Sediment efflux of silicon off coastal Greenland and implications for the marine silicon cycle. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 529, 115877.
- Hatton, J.R., Hendry, K.R., et al. (2019) Investigation of subglacial weathering under Greenland Ice Sheet using silicon isotopes. Cosmochim. Act. 247, 191-206.
- Hendry, K.R. et al. (2019) Tracing the biogeochemical pathway of glacial meltwater from Southwest Greenland. Progress in Oceanography. 102126.
- Pogge von Strandmann, P., Hendry, K.R., Hatton, J., Robinson L.F. (2019) The response of magnesium, silicon and calcium isotopes to rapidly uplifting and weathering terrains: South Island, New Zealand. Frontiers in Earth Sciences.
- Newman, L…. Hendry, K.R… et al. (2019) Delivering sustained, coordinated and integrated observations of the Southern Ocean for global impact. Frontiers in Marine Science. 6, 433.
- Henley, S., Schofield, O.M., Hendry, K., et al. (2019) Variability and change in the west Antarctic Peninsula marine system: research priorities and opportunities, Progress in Oceanography. 173 (2019): 208-237.
- Hendry, K.R., Cassarino, L., Bates, S., et al. (2019) Silicon isotopic systematics of deep-sea sponge grounds in the North Atlantic. Quaternary Science Reviews. 210, 1-14.
- Hendry, K.R., Pyle, K.M.,Butler, G.B., et al. (2018) Spatiotemporal variability of barium in Arctic sea-ice and seawater, JGR Oceans.org/10.1029/2017JC013668.
- Hendry, K. R., Meredith, M. P., & Ducklow, H. (2018) The marine system of the West Antarctic Peninsula: status and strategy for progress, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, 376: 20170179.
Publications from NERC Open Research Archive
Kershaw, James, Stewart, Joseph A., Strawson, Ivo, de Carvalho Ferreira, Maria Luiza, Robinson, Laura F., Hendry, Katharine R. ORCID record for Katharine R. Hendry, Samperiz, Ana, Burke, Andrea, Rae, James W.B., Day, Rusty D., Etnoyer, Peter J., Williams, Branwen, Häussermann, Vreni. (2023) Ba/Ca of stylasterid coral skeletons records dissolved seawater barium concentrations. Chemical Geology, 622. 15 pp. 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2023.121355
Whitehouse, Michael J., Hendry, Katharine R. ORCID record for Katharine R. Hendry, Tarling, Geraint A. ORCID record for Geraint A. Tarling, Thorpe, Sally E. ORCID record for Sally E. Thorpe, ten Hoopen, Petra ORCID record for Petra ten Hoopen. (2023) A database of marine macronutrient, temperature and salinity measurements made around the highly productive island of South Georgia, the Scotia Sea and the Antarctic Peninsula between 1980 and 2009. Earth System Science Data, 15. 211-224. 10.5194/essd-15-211-2023
Belcher, Anna ORCID record for Anna Belcher, Henley, Sian, Hendry, Katherine ORCID record for Katherine Hendry, Wootton, Marianne, Friberg, Lisa, Dallman, Ursula, Wang, Tong, Manno, Clara ORCID record for Clara Manno. (2023) Seasonal cycles of biogeochemical fluxes in the Scotia Sea, Southern Ocean: A stable isotope approach [in review]. Biogeosciences: Discussions. 10.5194/bg-2022-246
Wallington, Holly, Hendry, Katharine ORCID record for Katharine Hendry, Perkins, Rupert, Yallop, Marian, Arndt, Sandra. (2023) Benthic diatoms modify riverine silicon export to a marine zone in a hypertidal estuarine environment. Biogeochemistry, 162. 24 pp. 10.1007/s10533-022-00997-7
Faust, Johan C., Ascough, Philippa, Hilton, Robert G., Stevenson, Mark, Hendry, Katherine R. ORCID record for Katherine R. Hendry, März, Christian. (2022) New evidence for preservation of contemporary marine organic carbon by iron in Arctic shelf sediments. Environmental Research Letters, 18. 12 pp. 10.1088/1748-9326/aca780
Ng, Hong Chin, Hawkings, Jon R., Bertrand, Sebastien, Summers, Brent A., Sieber, Matthias, Conway, Tim M., Freitas, Felipe S., Ward, James P.J., Pryer, Helena V., Wadham, Jemma L., Arndt, Sandra, Hendry, Katharine R. ORCID record for Katharine R. Hendry. (2022) Benthic dissolved silicon and iron cycling at glaciated Patagonian fjord heads. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 36. 22 pp. 10.1029/2022GB007493
Hendry, Katharine R. ORCID record for Katharine R. Hendry. (2022) Life, diatoms and everything: a tribute to Leanne Armand [Guest Editorial]. Antarctic Science, 34. 279-280. 10.1017/S0954102022000323
Ward, James P. J., Hendry, Katharine R. ORCID record for Katharine R. Hendry, Arndt, Sandra, Faust, Johan C., Freitas, Felipe S., Henley, Sian F., Krause, Jeffrey W., März, Christian, Tessin, Allyson C., Airs, Ruth L.. (2022) Benthic silicon cycling in the Arctic Barents Sea: A reaction–transport model study. Biogeosciences, 19. 3445-3467. 10.5194/bg-19-3445-2022
Ward, James P.J., Hendry, Katharine R. ORCID record for Katharine R. Hendry, Arndt, Sandra, Faust, Johan C., Freitas, Felipe S., Henley, Sian F., Krause, Jeffrey W., März, Christian, Ng, Hong Chin, Pickering, Rebecca A., Tessin, Allyson C.. (2022) Stable silicon isotopes uncover a mineralogical control on the benthic silicon cycle in the Arctic Barents Sea. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 329. 206-230. 10.1016/j.gca.2022.05.005
Freitas, F.S., Arndt, S., Hendry, K.R. ORCID record for K.R. Hendry, Faust, J.C., Tessin, A.C., März, C.. (2022) Benthic organic matter transformation drives pH and carbonate chemistry in Arctic marine sediments. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 36. 26 pp. 10.1029/2021GB007187