Numerical Modeller for L Sheet
- 2010- present Ice sheet modeller, British Antarctic Survey (first 2.5 years as part of EU ice2sea project).
- 2005-09 PhD University of Glasgow, Department of Mathematics. Title: “Pattern formation and hydrogen production in suspensions of swimming green algae”. Date awarded: December, 2009.
- BSc (First Class) in Mathematics, University College London, 2002-2005.
I am currently working as an Ice Sheet Modeller on a NERC grant (P.I. Dr Robert Arthern) to investigate the propagation of ocean-driven ice-shelf thinning and consequences for the interior of Antarctica and global sea level. Previously at BAS I have worked as part of the EU funded ice2sea programme and the EU programme Past4Future.
I am a mathematican by training and have previously worked on constructing, modifying and evaluating mathematical models of biological systems. Projects I have worked on include modelling the collective swimming behaviour of microorganisms and constructing a dynamical model of hydrogen production from green algae.
- Williams, C. R. and Bees, M. A. 2011 Photo-gyrotactic bioconvection, Fluid Mech., 678, 41-86 (doi:10.1017/jfm.2011.100)
- Williams, C. R. and Bees, M. A. 2011 A tale of three taxes: photo-gyro-gravitactic bioconvection, Exp. Biol., 214, 2398-2408 (doi:10.1242/jeb.051094)
- Featured in ‘Inside JEB’, 214, 2011 and ‘Nature research highlights’, 474, page 544, June 2011.
- Williams, C. R. 2009 Pattern formation and hydrogen production in suspensions of swimming green algae, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, December 2009. Available online at http://theses.gla.ac.uk/1370/
Publications from NERC Open Research Archive
Cornford, Stephen L., Seroussi, Helene, Asay-Davis, Xylar S., Gudmundsson, G. Hilmar, Arthern, Robert ORCID record for Robert Arthern, Borstad, Chris, Christmann, Julia, Dias dos Santos, Thiago, Feldmann, Johannes, Goldberg, Daniel, Hoffman, Matthew J., Humbert, Angelika, Kleiner, Thomas, Leguy, Gunter, Lipscomb, William H., Merino, Nacho, Durand, Gaël, Morlighem, Mathieu, Pollard, David, Rückamp, Martin, Williams, C. Rosie, Yu, Hongju. (2020) Results of the third Marine Ice Sheet Model Intercomparison Project (MISMIP+). The Cryosphere, 14. 2283-2301. 10.5194/tc-14-2283-2020
Arthern, Robert J. ORCID record for Robert J. Arthern, Williams, C. Rosie. (2017) The sensitivity of West Antarctica to the submarine melting feedback. Geophysical Research Letters, 44. 2352-2359. doi:10.1002/2017GL072514
Arthern, Robert J. ORCID record for Robert J. Arthern, Hindmarsh, Richard C.A. ORCID record for Richard C.A. Hindmarsh, Williams, C. Rosie. (2015) Flow speed within the Antarctic ice sheet and its controls inferred from satellite observations. Journal of Geophysical Research, 120. 1171-1188. 10.1002/2014JF003239
Williams, C. Rosie, Hindmarsh, Richard C.A. ORCID record for Richard C.A. Hindmarsh, Arthern, Robert J. ORCID record for Robert J. Arthern. (2014) Calculating balance velocities with a membrane stress correction. Journal of Glaciology, 60. 294-304. doi:10.3189/2014JoG13j092
Williams, C. R., Bees, M. A.. (2014) Mechanistic modeling of sulfur-deprived photosynthesis and hydrogen production in suspensions of Chlamydomonas Reinhardtii. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 111. 320-335. 10.1002/bit.25023
Barrand, Nicholas E., Hindmarsh, Richard C.A. ORCID record for Richard C.A. Hindmarsh, Arthern, Robert J. ORCID record for Robert J. Arthern, Williams, C. Rosie, Mouginot, Jérémie, Scheuchl, Bernd, Rignot, Eric, Ligtenberg, Stefan R.M., Van Den Broeke, Michiel R., Edwards, Tamsin L., Cook, Alison J., Simonsen, Sebastian B.. (2013) Computing the volume response of the Antarctic Peninsula ice sheet to warming scenarios to 2200. Journal of Glaciology, 59. 397-409. doi:10.3189/2013JoG12J139
McEwan, W. A., Hauler, F., Williams, C. R., Bidgood, S. R., Mallery, D. L., Crowther, R. A., James, L. C.. (2012) Regulation of Virus Neutralization and the Persistent Fraction by TRIM21. Journal of Virology, 86. 8482-8491. doi:10.1128/JVI.00728-12
Williams, C. Rosie, Hindmarsh, Richard C.A. ORCID record for Richard C.A. Hindmarsh, Arthern, Robert J. ORCID record for Robert J. Arthern. (2012) Frequency response of ice streams. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, A, 468. 3285-3310. 10.1098/rspa.2012.0180