- 2009-now: Research scientist at the British Antarctic Survey, Natural Environment Research Council, UK, working field: aircraft data analysis of atmospheric measurements
- 2006-2009: Research scientist at the British Antarctic Survey, Natural Environment Research Council, UK, working field: boundary layer meteorology with focus on air-sea-ice interaction processes
- 2002 – 2005: Research scientist at the Max-Planck-Institute for Meteorology (50%), Hamburg, Germany, working field: studies on the basis of ground based remote sensing aerosols, cloud and precipitation
- 2002 –2005: Research scientist at University of Hamburg, Department of Meteorology (50%), Germany, working field: studies of atmospheric turbulence in the maritime boundary layer
- 1997 – 2002: PhD-student at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zürich, Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Research, working field: boundary layer meteorology in highly complex terrain and EM-wave propagation through random media.
- Thesis: Weiss, A. I., 2002: Determination of stratification and turbulence of the atmospheric surface layer over various types of terrain by optical scintillometry, Dissertation ETH Zürich.
- 1997-2002: Research scientist at the Institute of Geodesy and Photogrammetry, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, working filed: wave propagation through random media, refraction, correction of highly precise geodetic measurements.
- 1997-1997: Research scientist at the Institute of Atmospheric Physics GKSS-National Research Centre, Geesthacht, working field: in situ micro-physical cloud measurements.
- 1995-1997: Research assistant and Diploma-student at the Institute of Atmospheric Physics GKSS- National Research Centre, Geesthacht, Germany. Diploma working field: Remote sensing of clouds
- 1989-1997: Student of Diplom Meteorology with Meteorology, Physics and Geophysics at the University of Hamburg, Germany.
- observational and theoretical studies of the atmospheric boundary layer in Antarctica and Arctic
- air-sea-ice interaction processes
- energy and water cycle in the atmsopheric boundary layer
- boundary layer over non homogenous and complex terrain
- maritime boundary layer
- wave propagation through turbulent media
- representation of boundary layer parameters in numerical models
- airborne and ground based observations of the turbulent bounday layer
Cloud and precipitation physics:
- observations and theoretical studies of water cycle parameters
- analyse of water cycle parameters by Radar, Lidar and aircraft in situ observations
- representation of clouds and precipitation in numerical models
- Nygård, T. T. Vihma, G. Birnbaum, J. Hartmann, J. King, T. Lachlan-Cope, R. Ladkin, C. Lüpkes, A. Weiss: Validation of eight atmospheric reanalyses in the Antarctic 3 Peninsula region, submitted to Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society (QJRM).
- Weiss, A.I., J. King, T. Lachlan Cope, R. Ladkin, 2012: Albedo of the ice-covered Weddell and Bellingshausen Seas, The Cryosphere, 6, 479-491, 2012, www.the-cryosphere.net/6/479/2012/doi:10.5194/tc-6-479-2012
- Weiss, A. I., J. King, T. Lachlan Cope, R. Ladkin, 2011: On the effective aerodynamic and scalar roughness length of Weddell Sea ice’ by in J. Geophy. Res., Vol. 116, D19119, 9 PP., doi:10.1029/2011JD015949
- King, J.C., T.A. Lachlan-Cope, R.S. Ladkin, A. Weiss, 2008: Airborne Measurements in the Stable Boundary Layer over the Larsen Ice Shelf, Antarctica, Boundary-Layer Meteorology, Vol. 127:413–428 DOI 10.1007/s10546-008-9271-4.
- Rotach, M., M. Andretta, P. Calanca, A. Weigel, and A. Weiss, 2008: Boundary layer characteristics and turbulent exchange mechanisms in highly complex terrain, Acta Geophysica, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 194-219 DOI: 10.2478/s11600-007-0043-1.
- Hennemuth, B., A. Weiss, J. Bosenberg, D. Jacob, H. Linne, G. Peters, S. Pfeifer, 2008: Quality assessment of water cycle parameters in REMO by radar-lidar synergy, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Vol. 8, pp. 287–308.
- Weiss, A., J. Kuss, G. Peters, B. Schneider, 2007: Evaluating transfer velocity-wind speed relationship using a long-term series of direct eddy correlation CO2 flux measurements. Journal of Marine Systems, Volume 66, Issue 1-4, pp. 130-139.
- Rotach, W., P. Calanca, G. Graziani, J. Gurz, D. Steyn, R. Vogt, M. Andretta, A. Christen, S. Cieslik, R. Connolly, S. DeWekker, S. Galmarini, E. Kadygrov, V. Kadygrov, E. Miller, B. Neiniger, M. Rucker, E. VanGorsel, H. Weber, A. Weiss, M. Zappa, 2004: Turbulence structure and exchange processes in an Alpine Valley: The Riviera Project, Bulletin of the AMS, 1367-1385.
- Weiss, A., M. Hennes, M. Rotach, 2001: Derivation of refractive index and temperature gradients form optical scintillometry for the correction of atmospheric induced problems in highly precise geodetic measurements, Surveys in Geophysics, Vol. 22, No. 5-6, Kluwer Academic Press, Netherlands.
- Weiss, A. 2002: Determination of stratification and turbulence of the atmospheric surface layer over various types of terrain by optical scintillometry, Mitteilungen IGP ETH Zürich, Nr. 75, ISSS 0252-9335 ISBN 3-906467-36-8.
Weiss, Alexandra, King, John, Lachlan-Cope, Thomas, Ladkin, Russell. (2012) Albedo of the ice covered Weddell and Bellingshausen Seas. The Cryosphere, 6. 479-491. 10.5194/tc-6-479-2012
Weiss, Alexandra I., King, John, Lachlan-Cope, Tom, Ladkin, Russ. (2011) On the effective aerodynamic and scalar roughness length of Weddell Sea ice. Journal of Geophysical Research, 116. 9 pp. 10.1029/2011JD015949
King, J.C., Lachlan-Cope, T.A., Ladkin, R.S., Weiss, A.. (2008) Airborne measurements in a stable boundary layer over the Larsen Ice Shelf, Antarctica. Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 127. 413-428. doi:10.1007/s10546-008-9271-4
Rotach, Mathias W., Andretta, Marco, Calanca, Pierluigi, Weigel, Andreas P., Weiss, Alexandra. (2008) Boundary layer characteristics and turbulent exchange mechanisms in highly complex terrain. Acta Geophysica, 56. 194-219. 10.2478/s11600-007-0043-1