British Antarctic Survey at Bluedot Festival 2023
- This event has passed.
British Antarctic Survey is delighted to be exhibiting at this year’s Bluedot Festival from 20-23 July 2023.
Join us at Bluedot Festival – an award winning line up of music, science and cosmic culture set in the shadow of the Jodrell Bank Observatory in Cheshire.
Polar science and engineering comes to life in the Mission Control marquee where you will discover some of the incredible scientific research equipment used by our polar researchers in Antarctica:
- Explore the model of our new polar ship, the RRS Sir David Attenborough
- Discover underwater robots like our Slocum glider, used by oceanographers to collect data about the dynamics and chemistry from the ocean and under the edge of the ice.
- Get a feel for life as a polar researcher by bedding down in our field camp complete with pyramid tent, sheepskin rug, sleeping bag and primus stove…and take a look at what’s on their menu.
- Meet our friendly team of experts including our station lead, glaciologists, oceanographers, biologists, engineers and many more.
- Find out about the Southern Ocean food chain and how we are reducing the carbon footprint of our stations.
- On Saturday 22nd July take a seat and enjoy our line up of informative talks:
11:00am: Antarctica’s Meltdown, what it means for the world’s oceans. Dr Kelly Hogan, Marine Geophysicist, British Antarctic Survey.
2:00pm: Wintering in Antarctica – Living and Working in Splendid Isolation. Mike Brian, Research Station Leader, British Antarctic Survey.