Transformation Finance Lead
- Job reference:
- BAS 113/19
- Contract type:
- Fixed-Term Appointment (18 Months)
- Starting from £48,877
- We offer generous benefits
- Finance team
- Closing date:
- 1 December, 2019 1:03 pm
British Antarctic Survey (BAS) is a world-leading centre for polar science and polar operations, investigating issues of global importance and helping society adapt to a changing world.
To help us do this, a significant amount of investment has been allocated over the next 10 years to:
Deliver a New Polar Research Vessel (RSS Sir David Attenborough)
Develop sustainable and efficient infrastructure in Antarctica
Identify future air capability for working in the polar regions
To ensure we fully realise the benefits of this investment, a programme of wider Transformation activity has been established that will see us modernise and re-shape our processes, systems and strategies, and work more effectively with our parent organisation UK Research and Innovation, and the other Research Councils under its umbrella.
We are looking for experienced, passionate and motivated individuals to support us on this journey of transformation making BAS fit for the future.
British Antarctic Survey is entering a period of significant change, both in terms of its physical and business infrastructure. This fundamental shift in the way we operate requires a fresh approach to the way we manage our finances. A programme of Transformation activity has been established that will support development of a number of areas of BAS business. This role will be required to analyse current financial processes to help develop a more efficient and sustainable approach in the future.
- Cost reporting to meet wider audience needs
- Developing a financial strategy for optimal use of resources and assets that is aligned with organisational strategies
- Ensuring that the Finance team can evolve and adapt to the new dynamics
- Strategic resource management
- Developing a systematic and methodical approach for financial planning and analysis
This role will work closely with the other Transformation work stream leads to ensure a joined up approach to the overall programme.
- Engage with the Finance team and all other teams across BAS to complete a review of existing costing models and forecasts and wider control processes within finance
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop business processes and requirements and integrate changes
- Understand the key drivers of the business that drive performance
- Align business and finance processes across departments including budget and cost management
- Ensure the right technology is in place to support modernised models
- Work with the BAS Transformation Programme Board and Management Team to embed new practices
- Any other duties as required by the Director and Head of Finance
Please quote reference for any queries: BAS 113/19
Closing date for receipt of application forms is: 1st December 2019
Interviews are scheduled to be held on: Monday 9 December 2019
BAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic minorities and disabled people are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome. We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are open to a range of flexible working options, including job sharing, to support childcare and other caring responsibilities.
Skills are listed as either Essential or Desirable. Desirable skills importance rating in parenthesis (1 is high, 5 is low)
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and in writing - Essential
Communication skills - a) oral skills b) written skills
- Strong presentational skills with the ability to convince others and achieve resultsAbility to build and maintain professional relationships across the wider organisation including senior management - Essential
Computer / IT skills
- Fully conversant with MS-office applications - Essential
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of financial accounting and management reporting systems (preferably with an integrated resource based accounting system) - Essential
- Knowledge of Oracle Financials - Desirable 
- Strong time and task management skills - Essential
- Ability to prioritise and manage work independently and move things forward - Essential
- Able to deliver a complex piece of work to a tight deadline - Essential
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage positively with stakeholders at different levels both inside and outside the Finance team - Essential
- Must have excellent general analytical and problem solving skills to fully support the programme of transformation activity - Essential
- Qualified CCAB or equivalent accountant - Essential
- Qualified Business Analyst - Desirable 
- Project Management Qualification - Desirable 
Resource Management ability
- Experience of working in a matrix environment delivering complex projects successfully - Essential
Skills / Experience
- At least five years post qualification experience including leading transformational programmes - Essential
- Capable of contributing to the development of new financial strategy - Essential
- Strong attention to detail and high delivery standards - Essential
- Preferably for a public sector, academic or research based organisation - Desirable 
- Costing Support - Desirable 
- Business case and scenario planning - Desirable 
- Preferably for a public sector, academic or research based organisation. - Desirable 
You can apply for this job online or you can print off the application forms, fill them out by hand and mail them.
Apply by post:
If you would like to apply for this job but cannot apply online, you can print the application form(s) and post it back to us.
Please ensure you complete all required sections of the application form(s) and include a Cover Letter and a copy of your CV.
When posting your application, ensure there is sufficient postage.
- Send your completed application forms to:
- Human Resources Team
British Antarctic Survey
High Cross, Madingley Road
If you need more information
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: +44 (0)1223 221400
- Facsimile: +44 (0)1223 362616
The information you provide during the application process will only be used for the purpose of progressing your application, to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements where necessary or, in the case of the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Questionnaire, to help BAS meet its equal opportunities policy.
The British Antarctic Survey will not share the information you provide with any third parties, and the information will be held securely by the British Antarctic Survey whether the information is in electronic or physical format. Please note that the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Questionnaire will be detached from your application prior to the short-listing of candidates for interview.
Unsuccessful applications will be securely destroyed 6 months after the end of the recruitment process (or 1 year after the end of the recruitment process in the case of Marine Staff and AEP. The applications of successful applicants will be retained as part of their personnel file.
Further information can be found in the information notice of NERC, our parent body.