Project Manager – Construction/Engineering
- Job reference:
- BAS 20/66
- Contract type:
- Fixed-Term Contract (24 Months)
- Starting from £30,782 per annum
- We offer generous benefits
- Estates team
- Closing date:
- 5 July, 2020 11:59 pm
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, please note there may be delays to our recruitment timeline.
British Antarctic Survey are looking for a project manager to deliver a project providing an additional 350kW of solar photovoltaic power generation, supporting infrastructure, roof replacement and modification at our Cambridge offices.
What is role about?
This role will join an energetic, ambitious Estates team with a mission to provide safe, sustainable buildings across the Polar Regions and the UK.
We are looking for a motivated individual with a proven track record in project management within the construction industry. A passion for sustainable building technologies will see you successfully deliver a project providing power generation, infrastructure, and roof modification at BAS Cambridge.
Who are we?
British Antarctic Survey (BAS) delivers and enables world-leading interdisciplinary research in the Polar Regions. Its skilled science and support staff based in Cambridge, Antarctica and the Arctic, work together to deliver research that uses the Polar Regions to advance our understanding of Earth as a sustainable planet. Through its extensive logistic capability and know how BAS facilitates access for the British and international science community to the UK polar research operation. Numerous national and international collaborations, combined with an excellent infrastructure help sustain a world leading position for the UK in Antarctic affairs. British Antarctic Survey is a component of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). NERC is part of UK Research and Innovation www.ukri.org
The project manager is to plan and oversee a two year program of works, covering all aspects of the Roof upgrade and Solar array installation project.
Meeting the project’s goals on time and within budget. It will require you to organize people, tasks and resources to bring about a successful conclusion. Leasing with both contractors and stakeholders, they will ensure all works are carried out safely and in accordance with best practice and documented procedures.
The project manager will complete a full suite of project documentation throughout the project, enabling a smooth, soft handover to the Cambridge estates team on competition.
Prince 2 is essential.
NVQ, HNC or BTEC and in appropriate discipline is essential.
NEBOSH / IOSH certification is desirable.
• Working with your project Executive you will be responsible for setting up your project team, meeting structure and project reporting plan.
• Defining and implementing the structure of project documentation.
• Ensuring that the project outputs and products are delivered on time and are of agreed quality.
• Chair and participate in project meetings
• Present to a wide range stakeholders
• Manage the project budget
• Manage the independent verification of technical documents
• Ensure the timely handover of all project documentation and products
• Take part in planning sessions with the Cambridge estates team.
• Any other duties as required by the director of BAS
Please quote reference: BAS 20/66
Closing date for receipt of application forms: 5 July 2020
Interviews are scheduled to be held: 15 July 2020
BAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic minorities and disabled people are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome. We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are open to a range of flexible working options, including job sharing, to support childcare and other caring responsibilities.
Skills are listed as either Essential or Desirable. Desirable skills importance rating in parenthesis (1 is high, 5 is low)
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to communicate technical information to a wide range of individuals and groups both orally and in written form - Essential
- Report writing experience - Essential
- Power point presentation experience - Essential
- Track record in presenting to a national and international audience - Desirable 
Computer / IT skills
- High level use of office packages, Microsoft Project - Essential
- Ability to use AutoCAD - Desirable 
- Ability to make technical assessments and evaluate site information and data. - Essential
- Ability to make decisions and provide options for solutions to tasks, combined with a clear understanding of when assistance/confirmation with decision-making should be sought - Essential
- Should be enthusiastic about tackling a range of problems and determined to provide satisfactory solutions - Desirable 
- Ability to work effectively individually and as part of a team. - Essential
- Ability to build productive relationships and work with a wide range of people including operations staff, scientists, administrators and contractors - Essential
- Project Management experience - Essential
- Track record of time/ work management skills and ability to progress several tasks in short succession with minimal supervision. - Essential
- Line management experience - Desirable 
- Basic numeracy, ability to manage budgets - Essential
- Able to interpret drawings - Desirable 
- Flexibility to adjust to changing priorities - Essential
- Can identify key issues that need to be addressed to achieve objectives and how to tackle them. - Essential
- Demonstrate understanding of Health & safety issues - Desirable 
- NVQ, HNC or BTEC in appropriate discipline - Essential
- NEBOSH / IOSH certification - Desirable 
- Prince2 - Essential
Resource Management ability
- Budget management experience - Essential
- Contractor management experience - Essential
Skills / Experience
- Proven track record in Project management - Essential
- Knowledge of building systems - Desirable 
- Experience of Antarctic buildings and logistics - Desirable 
- Preparation of risk assessments, COSHH assessments and procedures in line with CDM Regulations 2015 - Desirable 
You can apply for this job online or you can print off the application forms, fill them out by hand and mail them.
Apply by post:
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Recruitment team is working remotely and cannot access the building. If you would like to apply for this job but cannot apply online, please contact us: [email protected]
If you need more information
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: +44 (0)1223 221400
- Facsimile: +44 (0)1223 362616
The information you provide during the application process will only be used for the purpose of progressing your application, to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements where necessary or, in the case of the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Questionnaire, to help BAS meet its equal opportunities policy.
The British Antarctic Survey will not share the information you provide with any third parties, and the information will be held securely by the British Antarctic Survey whether the information is in electronic or physical format. Please note that the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Questionnaire will be detached from your application prior to the short-listing of candidates for interview.
Unsuccessful applications will be securely destroyed 6 months after the end of the recruitment process (or 1 year after the end of the recruitment process in the case of Marine Staff and AEP. The applications of successful applicants will be retained as part of their personnel file.
Further information can be found in the information notice of NERC, our parent body.