Plumber/Pipe Fitter – Antarctica
- Job reference:
- BAS 15/19b
- Contract type:
- Antarctic Contract
- Antarctic Winter (Approx. 9 Months)
- £24,272 per annum pro rata. Additionally, upon completion of a successful tour, you will receive a 10% bonus on your Antarctic Service.
- We offer generous benefits
- British Antarctic Survey
- Antarctica - Rothera
- Closing date:
- 27 October, 2019 11:59 pm
Antarctica is the coldest and most isolated continent in the world. It’s also the most exhilarating, providing a unique and spectacular setting for our vital scientific research. By joining the team responsible for the installation of two fire suppression systems, you could play a crucial role in our success.
This is a rare opportunity to be part of a small team responsible for the installation of two fire suppression systems inside two accommodation buildings located at Rothera Station, Antarctica.
Using your own initiative, you will be required to be self-motivated and work both individually and as part of a team. You will need to have served a full apprenticeship, have relevant BTEC, City & Guilds or NVQ, along with practical experience.
To take responsibility for the installation of a new fire suppression system in two buildings at Rothera research station.
Served full apprenticeship, BTEC, relevant City & Guilds or NVQ.
- Fire suppression systems and associated motors & control gear
- Water systems
- Mapress type pipe fitting
- Reporting of problems or work requests to the line manager.
- Carrying out works as directed by the line manager.
On-line application forms and further information are available on our website at www.bas.ac.uk/vacancies.
These are also available from the Human Resources Section, British Antarctic Survey, High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge, CB3 0ET. Tel: (01223) 221508.
Please quote reference: BAS 15/19b
Closing date for receipt of application forms is: 27th October 2019
Interview date: w/c 11th November 2019
Proposed start date: January/February 2020
BAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic minorities and disabled people are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome. We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are open to a range of flexible working options including part-time or full-time employment as well as flexible hours due to caring or other commitments.
Skills are listed as either Essential or Desirable. Desirable skills importance rating in parenthesis (1 is high, 5 is low)
Communication skills - a) oral skills b) written skills
- Fluent in both written and spoken English. - Essential
- Able to read and interpret drawings. - Essential
Computer / IT skills
- Basic computer operating skills; using the Microsoft Office suite of programmes. - Essential
- Use of e-mail systems. - Essential
- Report writing. - Desirable 
- Ability to work within a management structure. - Essential
- Be self motivated. - Essential
- Ability to report any problems or issues to line manager - Essential
- Good problem solving skills. - Desirable 
- Flexible approach to all tasks and duties given. - Desirable 
- Ability to work either individually or as part of a team. - Essential
- Able to plan and manage both time and workload. - Essential
- Served full apprenticeship, BTEC, relevant City & Guilds or NVQ. - Essential
- Recognised qualification within the mechanical services industry. - Desirable 
- CSCS Certificate. - Desirable 
Resource Management ability
- Ability to use tools and materials in a workmanlike manner. - Essential
Skills / Experience
- Practical post qualification/apprenticeship site experience. - Essential
- Knowledge of light commercial water supply systems. - Essential
- Experience of heating and ventilation systems. - Essential
- Experience of building management systems (BMS) - Essential
- Experience with installation and commissioning of low/high pressure water systems and associated components as per manufacturers specifications. - Desirable 
You can apply for this job online or you can print off the application forms, fill them out by hand and mail them.
Apply by post:
If you would like to apply for this job but cannot apply online, you can print the application form(s) and post it back to us.
Please ensure you complete all required sections of the application form(s) and include a Cover Letter and a copy of your CV.
When posting your application, ensure there is sufficient postage.
- Application form
- Equal Opportunities Monitoring Questionnaire
- Antarctic Service Application Medical Form
- Send your completed application forms to:
- Human Resources Team
British Antarctic Survey
High Cross, Madingley Road
If you need more information
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: +44 (0)1223 221400
- Facsimile: +44 (0)1223 362616
The information you provide during the application process will only be used for the purpose of progressing your application, to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements where necessary or, in the case of the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Questionnaire, to help BAS meet its equal opportunities policy.
The British Antarctic Survey will not share the information you provide with any third parties, and the information will be held securely by the British Antarctic Survey whether the information is in electronic or physical format. Please note that the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Questionnaire will be detached from your application prior to the short-listing of candidates for interview.
Unsuccessful applications will be securely destroyed 6 months after the end of the recruitment process (or 1 year after the end of the recruitment process in the case of Marine Staff and AEP. The applications of successful applicants will be retained as part of their personnel file.
Further information can be found in the information notice of NERC, our parent body.