Assistant Management Accountant – Operations and Engineering
- Job reference:
- BAS 20/38
- Contract type:
- Full Time
- Open-Ended Appointment
- Starting from £24,777 per annum
- We offer generous benefits
- British Antarctic Survey
- Cambridge, with occasion travel to Swindon
- Closing date:
- 1 March, 2020 11:59 pm
The British Antarctic Survey (BAS), part of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), aims to undertake a world-class programme of scientific research, and to sustain for the UK an active and influential regional presence and a leadership role in Antarctic affairs.
We are looking to appoint an Assistant Management Accountant to
- Deliver effective and efficient financial support, analysis, reporting, initiatives and specialised services to BAS Operations and Engineering staff.
- Work closely with colleagues in NERC Swindon and other Research centres, Audit and Shared Service Centre UKSBS to shape financial strategy.
• Delivery of effective and efficient financial support, analysis and reporting, with a focus
on the BAS Operations and Engineering community
• Capital/Asset Management
Training toward AAT level 4, or part qualified CCAB or equivalent accountant.
• Review and distribute regular management accounts to Operations and Engineering
and Corporate services cost centres
• Conduct regular meeting with budget holders to review spending and provide
support to budget holders as needed (e.g. re-allocation of costs, historical spend
• Support Management Accountant and Finance Business Partner in preparing robust
forecasts and making strategic level decisions
• Monthly journals and reconciliation between capital and related resource
• Provide active support to the Management Accountant on routine and adhoc tasks
• Close liaison with Management Accountant and other members of the Finance team
to help to meet team deadlines
• Assist in the implementation of relevant Financial Policy
• Contribute to the planning and delivery of financial training to non-finance staff
• Project Set up, reconciliation and reporting
• Fixed asset creation and asset tag distribution
• Asset Verification and Validation
• Reconciliation of Capital clearing account
• Support interim and yearend audit work related to Operations and Engineering and
• Liaise with Shared Service Centre UK SBS to resolve queries
• Any other duties as required by the Director and Head of Finance
Please quote reference: BAS 20/38
Closing date for receipt of application forms: 1st March 2020
Interviews are scheduled to be held: Wednesday 11th March 2020
BAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic minorities and disabled people are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome. We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are open to a range of flexible working options, including job sharing, to support childcare and other caring responsibilities.
Skills are listed as either Essential or Desirable. Desirable skills importance rating in parenthesis (1 is high, 5 is low)
Communication skills - a) oral skills b) written skills
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing. - Essential
- Ability to build strong relationships, convey complex accounting concepts in a straightforward manner and provide sound advice and guidance. - Essential
- Experience in dealing with non-finance senior management and explaining financial concepts to non-finance staff. - Desirable 
Computer / IT skills
- Fully conversant with MS-Excel, Word, Access and Power Point - Essential
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of financial accounting and management reporting systems, (preferably with an integrated resource based accounting system). - Essential
- Microsoft Visio - Desirable 
- Knowledge of Oracle Financials - Desirable 
Numerical Ability & Decision Making
- Able to apply professional knowledge to carry out detailed financial analyses and to develop and deliver useful strategic reporting. - Essential
- Ability to build and maintain long term relationships across organisation stakeholders and suppliers. - Essential
- Capable of contributing to the development of strategies in support of achieving business goals. - Essential
- Experience of the public sector or an academic/research based organisation. - Desirable 
- Evidence of providing training to finance and nonfinance staff. - Desirable 
- Training toward AAT level 4, or part qualified CCAB or equivalent accountant. - Essential
- Evidence of continuous professional development. - Desirable 
Skills / Experience
- Experience of reviewing management accounts and investigating variances with budget holders. - Essential
- Experience of project based accounting, with a focus on capital. - Essential
- Capable of contributing to the development of new business systems. - Essential
- Experience of planning and progressing work activities within guidelines and to policy, using initiative and independent judgement. - Desirable 
- Experience working with capital/fixed asset register. - Desirable 
- A team player with the ability to work in a seamless way with colleagues across BAS and UKRI/NERC in support of the delivery of the BAS and UKRI/NERC mission. - Essential
Understanding of control, governance and compliance
- Ensure compliance with policies. - Essential
- Maintain confidentiality. - Essential
You can apply for this job online or you can print off the application forms, fill them out by hand and mail them.
Apply by post:
If you would like to apply for this job but cannot apply online, you can print the application form(s) and post it back to us.
Please ensure you complete all required sections of the application form(s) and include a Cover Letter and a copy of your CV.
When posting your application, ensure there is sufficient postage.
- Send your completed application forms to:
- Human Resources Team
British Antarctic Survey
High Cross, Madingley Road
If you need more information
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: +44 (0)1223 221400
- Facsimile: +44 (0)1223 362616
The information you provide during the application process will only be used for the purpose of progressing your application, to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements where necessary or, in the case of the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Questionnaire, to help BAS meet its equal opportunities policy.
The British Antarctic Survey will not share the information you provide with any third parties, and the information will be held securely by the British Antarctic Survey whether the information is in electronic or physical format. Please note that the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Questionnaire will be detached from your application prior to the short-listing of candidates for interview.
Unsuccessful applications will be securely destroyed 6 months after the end of the recruitment process (or 1 year after the end of the recruitment process in the case of Marine Staff and AEP. The applications of successful applicants will be retained as part of their personnel file.
Further information can be found in the information notice of NERC, our parent body.