STEM educators ‘twilight’ event
- This event has passed.
Calling all teachers and STEM ambassadors!
Join us on Wednesday 1 November, 4 -6pm (refreshments available from 3.45) at British Antarctic Survey’s Cambridge offices to discover the range of free-to-use resources for teachers and students.
Inspiring young people in polar science and operations is important to British Antarctic Survey. We work with partners to create high-quality, curriculum-relevant resources, and make these available online. We share a common goal with the international polar research community – to inspire and engage young people in the polar regions.
Our award-winning online resources (discoveringantarctica.org.uk and www.discoverthearctic.org.uk), produced in partnership with the Royal Geographical Society and the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, are especially helpful for secondary school teachers. The Government-sponsored Polar Explorer Programme, lead by STEM Learning Ltd and inspired by the new polar ship for Britain the RRS Sir David Attenborough, is designed to meet the needs of primary school teachers.
What’s on offer
- An opportunity to find out how these free printed and online resources can help you in the classroom – whether you are a teacher or a STEM Ambassador
- An introduction to the STEM Ambassador Scheme
- An introduction to the Polar Explorer Programme
- A chance to share ideas with one another and put your questions to polar experts
- A great networking opportunity
Who should attend
Primary and secondary school educators who teach geography, science, the environment. People who would like to inspire young people in polar science and operations.
This event is brought to you by British Antarctic Survey and Connect Education & Business, the local East of England Hub for STEM.
15.45 Arrival, refreshments and networking
16.15 Welcome and introduction to the event
16.30 Inspiring young people in STEM – a shared approach:
- British Antarctic Survey education programme – interactive online demo
- The Polar Explorer Programme – interactive online demo
- Connect Education & Business – STEM Ambassadors programme; how to get involved
17.30 Q&A Discussion