The Carbon Reduction Strategy has been produced with the vision that BAS will exceed government targets for longterm reductions in carbon emissions. As a first step targets have been set, using 2006 levels as the baseline, to reduce energy use and carbon emissions from BAS stations in Antarctica and Cambridge by 20% and from BAS ships by 5%, by 2012.
The strategy outlines the BAS approach to carbon reduction and provides a series of actions, listed below, that will be implemented over the next 5 years.
- Establish a carbon monitoring & reporting system
- Undertake energy studies to identify opportunities for further efficiences
- Provide staff education and implement positive operational changes
- Implement a programme of energy & water efficiency technology changes
- Implement renewable & alternative energy technologies where applicable
- Establish research into new technology, where required