The original intention had been to build the base hut on Brabant Island but no suitable site could be found. Danco Island was closed once local work was completed.
Position: Lat. 64° 44′ S, Long. 62° 36′ W
General location: Danco Island, off Danco Coast
Survey and geology.
26 Feb 1956 – 22 Feb 1959.
Main hut was named Arendal, the original name of the RRS Shackleton, the vessel that established the station.
Demolished and removed by BAS Apr 2004. Only concrete foundations remain.
For full listing of all station histories, see History of British stations and refuges.