The BAS Executive Team
Responsibility for the leadership and management of British Antarctic Survey (BAS), including the direction, balance and detail of its science programme, and the allocation of resources and logistics support, lies with the Director advised by the senior management who comprise the BAS Executive Team.
The BAS Executive Team meets monthly and is responsible for the overall leadership, direction and management of the Survey to achieve its mission.
Full list of BAS Executive Team members:
- Professor Jane Francis, Director - Chair
- Professor David Vaughan, Director of Science
- Dr Beatrix Schlarb-Ridley, Director of Innovation & Impact
- Capt Tim Stockings, Director of Operations
- Mr Ricky Munday, Head of Corporate Services and Financial Strategy
- Professor Mike Meredith - Deputy Director of Science
- Mr Mike Pinnock - Science Delivery
- Mr Steve Marshall - BAS Health & Safety Adviser
- Dr John Shears, Head of Operations & Engineering
- Mr Peter Ganczakowski, Head of Human Resources, BAS
- Mrs Linda Capper, Head of Communications, BAS
- Professor Richard Horne - Senior Representative Scientist
- Mrs Julie Leland, Director’s PA - Recorder
The main functions of the BAS Executive Team are to:
- Support and contribute to the overall NERC strategy.
- Develop, maintain and communicate strategic plans to sustain the long-term viability and effectiveness of the Survey.
- Pursue and promote best practice to maximise scientific impact and productivity.
- Foster and develop a skilled and adaptable workforce.
- Develop and maintain the infrastructure, facilities, collaboration and capabilities needed to deliver the BAS mission.
- Ensure the proper management of BAS and its finances, in a manner that is open, provides value for money and which conforms to propriety and relevant legislation.
- Ensure that BAS operates in a safe & healthy manner, and with the minimum practicable negative environmental impact.
- Encourage and facilitate appropriate business links for the commercial exploitation of BAS research and technical innovation.